Monday, September 16, 2013

Korra Cake with Frosting Recipe



Well, I guess I've been into cake lately! Made another one. Are any of you into Avatar the last Airbender? Well, we are. And the second show just started up again this weekend so we had to have a party. And parties require cakes! :) So all I did was make a regular cake out of the box. The frosting was the fun part. Here's the recipe I used. I love it because it's not as thick as store-bought frosting so it doesn't make you sick if you get a slice of cake with a lot of frosting on it. . .




The frosting is super easy:

2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
6 Tbsp. Butter (softened)
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Blend with a hand mixer until it's pretty smooth. Then add:
2 1/2 - 3 cups of powdered sugar (till it tastes good to you).

 Then, I needed four colors so I split the frosting into four containers and dyed them so they were pretty light. I had to add a little more to the green - it's hard with food coloring to get it right the first time so it's great that you can always add more! :)
I frosted the cake in 4 sections - one with each color. In Avatar there are four elements: Wind, Water, Earth, and Fire. After the cake was frosted with the lighter colors I found the symbols for each of the elements online and copied them with darker frosting. (I just added a couple more drops of coloring to each carton to make them darker.) I don't have any cool frosting tools so I just put frosting in little baggies and cut the corners off to make my own tool.


And that was it! Super easy and you can use this technique with this frosting for so many ideas! Just be careful cuz it can be really runny if you don't let it set for a bit. When I tipped my cake up like this the colors started running into each other. It's a good idea to put it in the fridge when you're done frosting it so it will harden a bit. :)



2 comments:

  1. Yum! What a fun idea. I will have to try this one out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It super easy! And of course extra delicious because we used Fun-fetti cake :)

      Delete